Thursday, October 12, 2017

In class comic

The mentor in the mason jar was a comic found in zap #7, and made by Robert Williams.  
I found it pretty hard to read, actually. It's a lot messier and very busy to look at on the page. I think that may have been the effect the artist was going for. The images were pretty gross to look at, especially towards the end. The one panel  I liked was a simple silhouette of the main character against the moon. 
I think I would have liked the comic more if things were spaced out more, and given room to breathe. Parts of it were hard to read, for this reason. 
It felt like it was trying to be edgy and go for shock value above all else, which I'm not crazy about in general.

2 comments:

  1. I like the honesty. I agree that a lot of these underground comics can be very difficult to read, not just because of the subject matter but because of the busy art styles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering the business of the page and the heaviness of the strokes, I could tell that was a conscious artistic choice--it's more time consuming and requires more attention than to have simpler forms. I'm not sure if this was the intent of the artist, but it could just be one more way for him to rebel against mainstream comic conventions. Heavy linestrokes and difficulty of reading just for the sake of it. Comics are generally an accessible medium, maybe he wanted to subvert that.

    ReplyDelete