Thursday, March 22, 2018

Aye and Gomorrah

Aye and Gomorrah was a short piece, but full of interesting concepts and original worldbuilding. The way the world was set up explored gender and identity in a way I haven't seen before in science fiction. All of the themes surrounding sexuality were very clear, though I don’t know how I feel about the idea of being ‘genderless’ or androgynous creatures being the subject of so much sexualization. 
As a concept I feel a little uneasy about it. A product of it’s time I suppose, hopefully it made positive contributions to the diverse world of science fiction.
I was also interested to learn that the author was both black and bisexual. That explained his interest in many of these themes and subjects, I’m glad I got the chance to read some of his work and might look into it further.


2 comments:

  1. I thought this story was really interesting. When I was writing about it in my own blog post I found it hard to feel like I was phrasing thing right while describing what the story seemed like to me as I felt some of what I was saying would now be considered out dated. It's been interesting with a couple stories that I've read for this class. Due to the fact that they were written a little while ago, they don't really exemplify the same view of sex and gender as I feel is fairly common among our generation. This has made it hard for me at times to navigate the correct language to describe the effect of the text while being mindful of the more modern non-binary view of gender that's so important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely see that, yeah. Especially given that the author has a history writing erotic sci-fi. I'd definitely to discuss it with more friends, especially NB/Ace, because there was something about it that just felt really off.

    ReplyDelete