Monday, April 9, 2018

How to Talk to the Moon at Parties

This week, I read a couple of things. I read 'The Distance of the Moon,' by Italo
Calvino, in addition to 'How to Talk to Girls at Parties' by Neil Gaiman, because
I saw the movie trailer and got very excited. This semester has really shaped
a love of Neil Gaiman's writing as one of my primary influences, especially as
I'm finding my footing as a wannabe writer. Written in 2006, my one minor
criticism is that Stella is a bit of the 'Born Sexy Yesterday' trope. I'm also worried
it'll be a little too much 'manic pixie dream girl.' Other then that the world was
very fun, like 70's Skins but with more sci-fi, which was a very appealing concept
to me. The Itty-Bitty hints of non-humanism were just enough to make Stella a
believable alien, but not enough to make it un-realistic or kitchey. The character
descriptions were still very endearing, I loved the line:
"He looked from her back to me, and he smiled his white smile: roguish, lovable,
a little bit Artful Dodger, a little bit wide- boy Prince Charming."


I found Stella much more interesting then any of the other characters, but that could
also just be my personal taste in characters. I could read her talk about outer-space
and her travels forever. Since the text is fairly short, I'm very curious to see how it will
be expanded into a full length feature film. I also loved the section where she's compared
to a poem. Including some illustrations from a comic that was made on the text,
illustrations by Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon.




"The Distance of the Moon" was also enjoyable. I tend to love text written about the
moon, but this was definatley different then what I'm used to. Climbing up to the moon
with a latter reminded me of that pixar short that came out a few years ago, 'La Luna.'
It was very surreal, and left a very 'melancholy achey' feeling. It was whymsical and
magical, so (shocker,) I was all in. I also really enjoyed this animated short that I found
based on it, including here.



2 comments:

  1. It's cool that you like Neil Gaimen enough to choose to read his work for several weeks. The only story I've read by him was Anansi Boys and I didn't care for it in particular. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the speech by him that we watched in class and since then have been wanting to read some of his other work to see if it suits my taste a little better. I just have no idea which other story to try reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of his stuff is really whimsical, which I'm a sucker for. Stardust is whimsical fantasy, Coraline is whimsical Children's Gothic, American Gods is whimsical urban fantasy. I'd recommend those three for sure~

    ReplyDelete