Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Fun Home! (what it is, what it is)

I absolutely love Alison Bechdel, I've been a huge fan of her's for a very long time. I've never actually finished reading Fun Home though, so I was thrilled to see it as an option. I saw the Musical version of it last year and loved that, the music is gorgeous and its incredibly rare to see such young actors taking on high-level acting. I thought the comic itself was brilliant too, much more graphic then I was expecting. The musical is a bit more romantic about her experiences with Joan, and the first time she saw a butch woman, (Ring of Keys) but I really appreciated the humor that's exclusive to the comic.
I loved all of the pages with silhouettes, those stood out to me a ton. The story itself has so much heart, her relationship with her dad felt almost therapeutic to read. It made me think a lot about my own family, and my dad, and the mental illness and experiences of many of my close friends and family. "tragi-comic" is a really good term to describe it, since it is tragic, and dark, but also very poetic and clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment