Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Book Review - Juliet Takes a Breath by Gabby Rivera

Juliet takes a breath was the first book I've read in a while that I really couldn't put down. I don't know if I've ever read a book that puts so much emphasis on intersectionalism, especially with the main character. She was quite literally close to home, I grew up in Westchester NY so that was a really cool connection to her. I wish I could send this book back to myself when I was first figuring all this out, in terms of the story and narrative, in addition to the writing. I've never read a YA novel that actually discussed polyamory, let alone had a protagonist that was gay, non-white, and chubby. The story and the characters were also wicked funny, the sense of humor game through, in addition to great discussion on what romance means in more modern LGBTQ circles. I believe it takes place in the early 2000's, so her introduction to all of these terms was one that I could have related to, at that age. The romance was sweet, especially one exploring interracial relationships. It reminds me of this other book I'm currently reading, "Lies we tell Ourselves," which is about a highschool romance between two girls during the civil rights movement. There are a lot of overlapping themes, I actually couldn't have planned for a better pair to read in parallel. All of the themes of forbidden love, layers/contrast of culture, inclusivity/exclusivity, and more gay romance. 
Its been a long time since I read a book that was equally educational and engaging, and its one I would definitely recommend, honestly to anyone who will listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment