Wednesday, February 28, 2018

The Ocean at the End of the Lane!


For this week's selection, I read the short novel The Ocean at the End of the Lane. While I enjoyed it, I don't think I would list it as my favorite of Neil Gaiman's work. I know in interviews he's stated that if he had to pick one of his books to be known by he would pick this one, and it's certainly well written, crafted, and interesting. It probably comes down to my own personal tastes in literature, where I tend to like stronger fantasy content. I've read Stardust, Coraline, and American Gods, so Anasi Boys is definitely on the list next and I'm definitely looking forward to.
It felt very similar to Coraline, in terms of the demographic and even protagonist. It was a little softer and more subdued than the wacky other-world, and more realistic in some ways. There were some nice quotes about growing up and adulthood which I enjoyed-

“Grown-ups don't look like grown-ups on the inside either. Outside, they're big and thoughtless and they always know what they're doing. Inside, they look just like they always have. Like they did when they were your age. Truth is, there aren't any grown-ups. Not one, in the whole wide world.” 

also...

“Nobody looks like what they really are on the inside. You don’t. I don’t. People are much more complicated than that. It’s true of everybody.” 

-and I certainly don't regret reading it. It's one of the stronger modern fairytales I've read, and had every element of something I should have loved. It romanticised reading, highlighting the little lovely details of leaving windows open at night to get a cool breeze, and relishing childhood. Thematically, it's spot on. Definitely spooky, though a children's book, it dealt with mature themes and content. I enjoyed the mention of Sarasota in the thanks at the end, when he mentioned his good friend Stephen King. 

Also included, is an interesting makeup look I came across for the novel's villain, some interesting visuals, and an interview from the New York Times that I enjoyed.

https://www.demikaycreations.com

Cathy Dillon

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/30/books/review/neil-gaimans-ocean-at-the-end-of-the-lane.html

No comments:

Post a Comment