Thursday, February 22, 2018

The Tale of Spiritual Education

This week I read selections from "The Magicians," a book that has been recommended to me a few times previously. It has a clear influence from Harry Potter, everyone who's referenced it has pitched it like "Harry Potter, but older with more partying." I also picked up on a lot of influences from "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" which I enjoyed. I did like the world, the urban fantasy setting is a fun one. I have a hard time liking the main character Quintin. His character was pretty depressing and kind of a jerk, and though I understand he had pretty bad depression, the writing didn't do a fantastic job of redeeming himself for his actions or how he treats people. How he treats Alice is especially terrible, I find it almost impossible to relate to a character who cheats. It also really annoyed me that her death was used to motivate Quintin. I found many of the side characters much more interesting, and I liked the concept of the world a whole bunch. Comparing it to Harry Potter, who also goes through an angsty phase mid-series but bounces back, I'd have to continue the series to find if it gets any better.  I liked the way that magic was explained, at the school. It seemed more detailed and scientific than in some other forms of media and made sense for a more mature setting. 
Nick Luzada

roland chambers



Also, a note on "The City of Lost Children" we watched in class. I absolutely love Jean Pierre Jeunet's films, so  I've seen this one a couple of times. All of his work is fantastic, and has a really specific look to his cinematography. I think his world is fantastic, all of the characters are super fun and original. 

"If Terry Gilliam, David Lynch, Tod Browning, Jules Verne and the Brothers Grimm locked themselves away for a couple of years, drank tequila shots until their minds started to bleed and then did copious quantities of LSD, they’d probably make something almost as weird as ‘The City of Lost Children’" x







No comments:

Post a Comment