Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Writing Prompt Feb.6.2018

“You finally get the superpower you’ve always dreamed about, and you
realize that it sucks.”


The wind was ice - sharp, a slap in the face. It pulled at my clothes, my
hair, my skin, and I plummeted through the sky. The air was crisp to
breathe, and my breath was short this high up. Quick. Trying to get
enough oxygen.
I finally came to a rest, a stagnant motionless suspension among the
wisps of clouds, lazily drifting by. Golden, from the sun.


I didn’t feel at peace, I didn’t feel free. This icey solitude was an
introverts dream - had been mine, for years. The question, the
problem, the dilemma, (as there always was for me) was now
how to return to the ground. Physically, and emotionally.


“Space cadet” had been a term thrown at me my whole life.
“His head is up in the clouds.” “He’s so spaced out, he can’t even
think straight.” Dreaming of a pure, isolated abyss had been a pleasant
daydream, a comforting home my mind could return to, at the end of a
long emotionally exhausting day.


Back on earth, sure there was talk of powers. Maybe from the pollution,
or the chemicals, or whatever scientific mistake had recently leaked into
the atmosphere. Once in a while, we’d hear stories about kids that were
just Different. I think I had a second cousin that could see through walls,
or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment